It’s National Sea Otter (Enhydra lutris) Awareness Week!
Hopefully you’re already aware of these small marine mammals, if so consider it more of an appreciation week. These little fluffy fluffs of the sea are not only pretty important but also have some very unique and pretty cool features. Here’s 10 facts by oceana.org:
1. Sea otters have the thickest fur out of any marine mammal—850,000 to one million hairs per square inch!
2. Sea otters are skilled eaters: They use rocks, shells, and other tools to crush prey, which is often shellfish but also includes sea urchins and fish, while balancing the prey on their stomachs as they float on their backs.
3. Adult sea otters can eat roughly 25 to 30 percent of their body weight in one day.
4. Sea otters are the smallest marine mammal, but the largest member of the weasel family.
5. Sea otters do not have insulating fat, so all of that densely packed hair keeps their skin dry—a crucial adaptation since they live in cold environments and spend most of their lives in water.
6. To keep their skin warm and dry, sea otters spend about 15 percent of their days grooming themselves to remove dirt and debris from their fur.
7. Sea otters often sleep together in large groups called rafts so that they don’t float away from each other, and sometimes link their paws together.
8. They can close their ears and nostrils when underwater.
9. Sea otters have flaps of skin under each front leg that double as pockets to store prey when diving for food.
10. Sea otters are the only otter species that give birth in water.
The Doctor’s new love interest revealed.
my entire life is basically just a tribute to old men at this point
i’m so done with gregory horror show
I’e been looking for the audio post forever.
Results of the stream! (And also some doodles from the night before..)
They all wound up being Gregory Horror Show related, and with some big honkin’ spoilers, too! The mysterious woman/rat is my attempt at a design for the Guest of Season 2, who me and some friends arbitrarily decided to call Margaret.
"Imagine Elsa singing Let It Go, only instead of ice, small Gregory heads come out if her hands. That is me right now. The small Gregory heads represent my crush on Gregory."
This is the best GHS thing ever.